CLASS: Colour My Fabric, Saturday, March 3 at The Drawing Studio from 1-4 pm. Cost is $40 and includes paintstik fee. Please mail your check to Mary Vaneecke, 2000 S. Hermosa, Tucson, AZ 85713. Call me at 520-444-7149 you have any questions or wish to make a credit card payment.
The goal of this class is to create a large set of samples of fabric hand-painted with Shiva paintstiks using many techniques. These can be used for future reference and in your own art, clothing, quilting, and craft projects. See how these techniques have been used in award-winning artwork.
- Freezer Paper
- Exacto knife
- Commercially made stencils (optional)
- Masking tape
- Stencil brushes (minimum 3 small- or medium-sized). You may share during class with classmates who are using different colors.
- Cutting mat
- Plastic plate or palette
- Ziplock baggies (a few)
- Textures for rubbing: pressed glass from the $1 store and/or scraps of interesting lace from S.A.S. work well if you can’t find anything lying around the house. Commercial rubbing plates are also available at craft stores.
- A minimum of one fat quarter each of a variety of fabrics: cotton solid, silk, sateen, linen in light and/or dark color, ultrasuede, ‘slubby’ fabric (linen or taffeta) and/or whatever you else work in. The idea is to see how paintstiks look on different fabrics. Look for bargains at S.A.S. or in remnant bins of fabric stores. Without using steam, iron freezer paper firmly to the wrong side of each fabric.
- Old clothes for painting in.
- Rag for cleanup.
SHIBORI CHIC: My line of Shibori Chic clothing is available through my website. Prices are $40 each or 2 for $70.